a zoo in hell

2.21.2013

Golden Ring or Golden Bough

I was sitting in a grant meeting today, one in which I expect I have about a 5% chance of securing, and it occurred to me that often in art and commerce it is a matter of running a marathon. Not because of the endurance required for success, but because everyone basically starts in the same spot and is striving toward the same goal. Regardless of how competitive you may be, the fact is you are moving in concert with a great mass of desire. I just don't feel that way and I don't think many of the artists I know do. We may have some vague mutual ideas of success, but in the end, I doubt we would imagine it the same way. I feel more like a climber might feel when trying to negotiate an unknown mountain. Many paths are possible, but none are certain.